Monday, September 7, 2009

Mount Scott






Today was labor day, and we decided to take advantage of the kids being out of school and Jason being off of work. We went up to Crater Lake National park to hike Mt Scott. Jason hiked it last year, so he was generous and stayed with the little kids, so that the big kids and I could get up the mountain. This was both Parker and Payton's first mountain hike, and they did awesome! I was really proud of both of them. Payton had a little trouble keeping up, and got a little discouraged but that didn't last long and she made it. Parker had no trouble, so that was great! Meanwhile, Jason was with Paxton, Phoebe, and Penny. He really got the short end of the stick. He was pushing the stroller up the path, that in and of it's self had to have been a workout. I figure they got about a mile and a half up the mountain before they had to turn back. Phoebe doesn't enjoy long amounts of walking.

Parker, Payton and I ascended in about an hour and 20 min. We descended in 45 minutes. Payton tripped coming down and scraped up her knee and hands, but she was a trooper and walked it off. I had to hold her hand most of the way down after that. The view of Crater Lake from the top is amazing. I don't think I'll ever get over how blue that lake is. It's fun to be up there and see Mt. Shasta, Mt. McLoughlin, and Mt. Theilson. You can see the Klamath Lake as well. We talked to two different couples, both from Seattle. We watched a chipmunk take a full on dirt bath, he went as far as to use his paws to rub the dirt on his arms like he was lathering up with soap, weird. It wasn't very cold up there, probably 50'. But in the shade of some of the bigger rocks next to the lookout station we found quite a few ice chips. We were back home by three, so it didn't feel like too long of a day. It was a great activity, and so fun to watch Parker and Payton be pleased with their accomplishment. I'm so sad school is back tomorrow:(

4 comments:

Rachel Garcia said...

Way to go guys- how fun!!

Dani said...

What a fantastic ending to your summer it looks like you've had!

suzanne said...

Look at you hiker! You are living the summer I wanted to have! However, the tradeoffs have been worth it. Think I'll take Jayne and fam to Mt. Scott!

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I swear I left a comment here..

it went like this?? HUH?? where is that?? We were just there.. I'll be blogging my photos in a week.. I agree can't get over the BLUE!!

Here's my photos til then:

http://flic.kr/goodncrazy